Department: Telephone Interpreting
Reports to: Project Manager
Location: Work at Home positions, any place within United Kingdom . The position is on a freelance / contractor basis, but could lead to a full time position.
Salary: The Hourly rate can vary widely depending on your experience and qualifications, the type of interpreting location and the level of demand for the languages.
Working Hours: Your working hours will be flexible.
Summary of position and Competencies Required:
* to be able to listen, to understand and memorise content in the original source language and then reproduce it in the target language
* to assimilate speakers' words quickly, including jargons and acronyms
* to work as per our local professional code of conduct covering confidentiality and impartiality
* to be alble to take notes to be able to aid memory
* to use microphones and headsets
* to prepare the paperwork by reviewing the agenda before any assignment when appointment received in advance.
* to have dedication, confidentiality and reliability
* to have an in-depth knowledge of the culture's relating to the languages you will be translating
* to recognise Equality and Diversity and the importance of human rights with dignity and respect. To act in accordance with legislation, policies and procedures.
* to demonstrate superior proficiency in English and the second language - to have in depth understanding of cultural dynamics of both languages
* to express accuracy in both languages and comprehends various subjects at different levels of complexity
* to demonstrate mastery of correct word order in phrases and sentences and use of proper grammar
* to display good communication skills such as clear enunciation, pronunciation , pleasant and professional tone of voice , and polite forms of expression in both languages
* to have competencies in the following industries such as: Medical, Finance, Insurance, Courts, Tribunals, Police and Government Agencies . To be familiar with terminology, procedures and products in those industries.
* to demonstrate dependability, honesty, integrity and trustworthiness and to accept responsibility for own action. To know its own limits.
* to have excellent Customer Services Skills and to be able to follow the client's instructions and exceeding their expectations.
The candidates must have at least one of the qualifications below:
1. Batchelors and/or Master's degree in Languages, Translation, Interpretations , Philology, Linguistics or related fields.
2. PhD. or Doctoral in Languages, Philology , Linguistic or related fields
3. NRPSI (National Register of Public Service Interpreting )
4. DPSI (Diploma in Public Services)
5. Metropolitan Police Test
6. Community Level Interpreter 2 (CLI2)
7. Community Interpreter Level 3 (CLI3)
8. Certificate of Higher Education in Translation, Interpretation , Languages, Philology or Linguistics.
Please Note: If those qualifications do not apply to you, please refer your CV to us for a review and note that you may have to undergo further checks by our Recruitment Team such as a language assessment test.
- All applicants must possess a full driver's licence and to have access to their own vehicle
- All applicants must have the right to work in the UK
- An Enhanced DBS certificate is required, however if you do not have a current DBS certificate you can apply through us at your own expense or do so through another company agency.
- the successful applicant must have a minimum of one year professional experience and at least two references for previous completed projects relating to their professional career are required.
- the successful applicant must have a minimum of 20o hours on face to face interpreting or over the telephone ideally within the Public Sector.